Savory Zucchini Muffins
This recipe is derived from Lucini's Savory Zucchini Bread, a 9x5 loaf recipe, but I've only made it as muffins. I also added currants, non-white flour, and some extra spices, but never the Parmesan.
When I'm making savory muffins I don't usually use muffin cups; I have a non-stick muffin tin.
- 1 c. chopped walnuts
- 1/2 c. currants
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 c. extra virgin olive oil, plus 1 tsp for oiling the muffin pan
- 1/3 c. soy milk with vinegar or buttermilk
- 2-3 medium zucchini, shredded (about 1 1/2 c. or 12 oz.)
- 1 1/2 c. total mixed white, whole wheat, and rye flour
- 1/3 c. dark brown sugar
- 1/2 T. (1 1/2 tsp) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
Preheat oven to 350°. Grease muffin tin. Toast nuts 6-8 minutes.
Whisk together eggs, oil and milk. Mix in zucchini and currants. Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, soda, salt and spices in large bowl. Add wet mixture to dry, stirring to just dampen. Add optional Parmesan.
Spoon into muffin tin. Bake in middle of oven 25-35 minutes, or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan, then remove and cool on wire rack. The original recipe suggests refrigerating overnight.