Mac and Cheese
I haven't made this yet, but I wanted to get it down before the link disappeared.
- 8 oz. Monterey Jack, shredded (2 c.)
- 8 oz. cheddar, shredded (2 c.)
- 5 c. milk
- 8 T. unsalted butter
- 6 T. flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. mustard powder
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 lb. macaroni, cooked with 1 T. salt past al dente but not al squishy
- 5 slices bread
- Process the bread into crumbs with half the butter, on pulse.
- In the pasta pan or Dutch oven, on medium-high, heat 5 T. butter to foaming.
- Whisk in flour and spices. Whisk another minute.
- Whisk in milk slowly. Bring to full boil stirring constantly.
- Simmer on medium 5 minutes until the thickness of heavy cream.
- Remove from heat and add cheese and salt.
- Add pasta and return to medium-low heat for 6 minutes.
- Transfer to 9x13 baking dish, top with crumbs, and broil 3-5 minutes.
- Cool 5 minutes before serving.