Vegetarian Portuguese Kale Soup
Yet another Recipezaar recipe, #149098. Non-vegetarian Portuguese kale soup usually includes chouriço (sausage) and morcela (blood pudding).
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 T. finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 c. diced onion
- 1/2 c. diced turnip
- 1/2 c. diced carrot
- 1 bunch curly or dinosaur kale, stemmed and roughly chopped
- 6 ounces soy chorizo, chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 T. chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 T. chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 6 c. vegetabe stock
- 1 c. kidney bean
- 3/4 c. diced tomato (6 ounces)
- 2 medium potatoes, diced
In a large stockpot, fry the garlic, onions, turnips and carrots in the oil for 5 minutes. Add the kale, chorizo, bay leaves, parsley and thyme and mix well. Add the stock, beans and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 30 to 40 minutes. You can cook the potatoes separately or with the soup.
Remove the bay leaves to serve.