Sopa de Grao
This is a recipe for Portuguese Spinach & Chickpea Soup from Recipezaar (#189046). It's likely I made it with vegetable stock instead of chicken stock.
- 4 c. chickpeas (2 cans or about 1 pound of dried if you are using them)
- 3 or more large garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 large yellow onions, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 5 T. olive oil
- 2 potatoes, peeled and coparsely chopped (Yukon gold)
- 2 T. fresh parsley, minced
- 2 T. fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 tsp dried marjoram, crumbled
- 4 c. chicken or vegetable broth
- 3/4 lb spinach, chopped (fresh or frozen)
- up to 2 T. fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp coarse salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper (or to taste)
Fry the garlic and onions in 3 tablespoons of oil at the bottom of your stockpot until translucent. Add the potatoes and fry 2 to 3 minutes. Add the herbs and cook a bit at low.
Add the broth and bring to a simmer. Add the chickpeas, cover and cook slowly for about one hour or until everything is soft.
If you like your soup to have texture, ladle out a cup or so of chick peas and set aside.
Using an immersion blender, puree the remaining soup to taste.
Add in the spinach and any reserved chickpeas and simmer 20-30 minutes.
Lastly, stir in lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste and serve, hot, with crusty bread.