Penflip - Write better with others
No account? Signup
Ready to write better?
Have an account? Login
The New Kitchen Cookbook
Added experimental rye as an image experiment.
about 5 years ago
I don't know if it's good for you; the point was just to get a "healthy" quantity of rye into no-knead dough using vital wheat gluten. The experiment is ongoing.
One important scientific discovery was that my square Ikea glass baking dish is the perfect size for a free-form loaf that doesn't actually want to keep its form. See the directions for more details.
## Ingredients (2 loaves)
* 2 c water
* 1 T molasses
* 3/4 T yeast
* 3/4 T kosher salt
* 3/4 T caraway seed
* 2 1/2 c white flour
* 1 1/2 c whole rye flour
* 2 T vital wheat gluten, sifted or mixed into the white flour
If making a free-form loaf, follow the Healthy Bread directions, but note that the dough is very sticky and airy so won't actually form a gluten cloak.
If making in a loaf pan or square pan: mix the ingredients in the order listed, let rise 2 hours as usual, then:
1. Line the bottom with parchment paper. Insert dough.
2. Let rise about 90 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 375° with the usual steam pan.
4. Insert pan and 1 c hot water.
5. Bake for 30 minutes.
6. Remove, remove from pan, remove parchment paper.
7. Increase heat to 425° and bake the loaf on the rack another 10 minutes.
Penflip is made by
in Los Angeles, California
Terms & Privacy